Thursday, February 20, 2014

Mama Chow's Kitchen - SW 2nd and Stark - Wings! Glorious Wings!

An attractive new cart has shown up midway between Oak and Stark on SW 2nd Ave, with all wood siding -- "Mama Chow's Kitchen"

The menu features Wonton soup, honey glazed chicken wings, and BBQ spare ribs.
(The ribs and wings can be served over rice, with steamed baby bok choy)

I can't begin to tell you how excited I am to have a decent place serving chicken wings so close by. There haven't been many food carts serving wings.

The wings were described as 'lollipop wings' - I had to inquire, as this was a new term to me - and it was explained that one of the two bones is pulled out (and used for making the stock for the soup) and the wings are marinated overnight in a garlic infused marinade, then they're deep fried on the spot and given a honey glaze.

He fried up a wing for me to try, minus the glaze - and it was delicious... so I went ahead and ordered the wings with rice and baby bok choy. (Wings can be had by themselves for $6, with the add-ons, $7)



Wow, these things are awesome. Crispy on the outside, tender and juicy (and with garlic!) on the inside. The glaze isn't too sweet and it has a slight kick to it, just right. The rice and bok choy were excellent accompaniments, and made for a very filling meal.

I'm really looking forward to trying their whole menu, and glad to see this cart come to town.

** Follow up **
I went back for the Wonton soup today, and got the Pork and Shrimp Wontons. (Mama's recipe, he tells me)
WOW - it was absolutely delicious. Served with baby bok choy, and using the sauce he recommended.. what a treat. Savory and tender and a generous serving. Next, I'll have to try the BBQ Pork riblets.

You MUST try the Wontons!

No comments:

Post a Comment