Friday, September 30, 2011

Friday is Thai-Day! Gin Northern Thai.



Today, I felt the urge for Thai food. It's become one of my favorite types of cuisine since I moved to the Pacific Northwest. There are MANY places for Thai food in Portland, brick-and-mortar restaurants and carts alike. You're guaranteed to find at least one, if not four, Thai carts in any reasonably sized cart pod in Portland.

The one that stands out to me the most, and in my humble opinion, hands-down, the BEST Thai food I've had in Portland is from Gin Thai, a cart on SW 3rd between Stark and Washington. ("Gin" means 'eat,' and is pronounced with the 'g' more like the word "go" instead of a 'j' sound)

Their menu is not the standard fare you'll find at most Thai carts, as the Northern Thai style they offer differs in many ways. They have many noodle based dishes, as well as stir-fry options. The meat they use is much more tender than you get in most places, and the vegetables and seasonings are incredible. One particular dish, Shan Noodle, is unlike anything I've ever had from a Thai place before - typically I avoid noodle based Thai food, but every single time they've recommended one and I've tried it, it's been amazing.

When you ask for it "HOT" - you better mean it. They don't screw around. Within 1-2 bites of a "hot" dish from Gin Thai, expect tears to be rolling down your face and sweat forming on your brow. Just like I like it... and my current state writing this blog entry.

The people who run the cart are very friendly, and love to talk about their offerings and give you suggestions if you let them know your tastes... the almost intimidatingly pretty Amika, and the exceptionally skilled chef, Nok - They greet me by name when I show up at their window, another reason I love coming back here outside of the outstanding food and service.

Today, I had the spicy cashew stir fry with chicken.... certainly not the most exciting offering on their menu, but... cashews sounded really good today. They use carrots, onions, bell and jalapeno peppers, crushed red pepper flakes - and the sauce is phenomenal.

**Highly Recommended! If you like Thai food, this is a must-visit cart.

No comments:

Post a Comment