Monday, October 3, 2011

Adam's Amazing Lebanese Food



Today's adventure took me off the beaten path a little, to a smaller pod on the corner of SW 3rd and Ankeny. My intent was to try out "Big Ass Sandwiches," a cart that's been around a while, and gained lots of praise - yet somehow has eluded me. Today was not to be the day, as they had not opened yet, even though I was there 15-20 minutes into their posted operating hours.

Around the corner, I walked by Adam's Amazing Lebanese Food, a cart I had not seen before... The photo of the food looked pretty appetizing, so I stopped to give it a try.

I hesitated a tad, because, apparently, after last Friday's glowing blog post about my love for Gin Thai, they've announced they're 'going on hiatus' and will be closed until further notice.
I sincerely hope my blogging isn't shutting down food carts.

Typically, when it comes to Lebanese food, I pretty much eat Gyros and Hummus and that's about as far as I venture. In the spirit of trying something different, I opted for the Lamb Schwarma. I really wasn't sure just what I was getting myself in to...

This thing is HUGE. It's basically an oversized Gyro, but with fries and sauce (including hot sauce!) added to the mix. Hummus was an optional 50 cent ingredient. Yeah, it's kind of like a "Lebanese Poutine" in a way, when you think about it.

It looks so wrong, but tastes so right... who knew that adding fries and hot sauce to a Gyro would make such a sinfully delicious meal?

The lamb is tender and spicy, and the (pita-style) breading is toasted just right, still soft, but able to hold the massive pile of ingredients this thing was loaded with. I will be QUITE surprised if I can actually finish this, it's enough food for two people.

Adam's serves a variety of Gyros and Shwarmas with different meat options, as well as Falafel, burgers, hot dogs, and more...

While a few of us waited on our food, the owner offered some fresh fries to enjoy. Certainly a good way to drum up business and keep people interested.

So, a closed cart resulted in my trying a new dish and a new cart I wasn't aware of - Here's to hoping this one doesn't announce it's closure after I blog about it. ;)

1 comment:

  1. OMG. I adore shwarma! That looks SO good. I wish I could bite it.

    ReplyDelete