Friday, October 14, 2011

Hog Time - The Hog Dog



Today, I was going to try to go somewhere and not get pork, as it's been a recurring theme in my relatively new practice of blogging my cart meals.

Somehow, I lost that argument with myself when I wandered down Washington between SW 2nd and 3rd, and there was Hog Time, open and ready for business... I've eaten here before and loved it each time. I've not gotten through the full menu yet, but I'm getting there.

It's Friday, Payday, and I was hungry. The "Hog Dog," I decided, was to be today's gluttonous celebration of money in the bank and no work tomorrow. This is actually their 'smallest' meal item.

Now, imagine, if you will -- a large, juicy sausage (1/4lb, beef)... topped with a generous heaping of pulled pork, onions, and hot sauce, wrapped in a house-made toasted pita, hot dog style, then wrapped in paper and foil so you don't get any on you.

I may feel like I'm going to explode after eating it, along with an order of tasty, crispy fresh french fries - but it's SO worth it.

I chatted with Dave, the purveyor of this tasty pork, while he was preparing the food - he makes a point to get to know his customers and remember their names when they're regulars... and watching him work is impressive, this guy has his craft down. The fries were fried up, strained, and tossed in a bowl with salt, all came out crisp and salted just right.

He has a variety of sauces available to top his foods off with, from mild to spicy (Hoganero sauce is my personal favorite) so you can tweak your food a bit to fit your fancy.

Some other offerings:

Hogzilla, a very generous heaping of pulled pork stuffed into his tasty, soft pita bread
Pig Pen, freshly fried fries, topped with delicious pulled pork, cheese, and sauces.
Boss Hog: HUGE pulled pork sandwich, again with a variety of tasty toppings and sauces
Pulled Pork Tacos - the same great pork, in delicious pita bread, you get the point. :)

Quick, efficient, tasty, generous portions, this cart really has it together.

Now, if only I could take a nap for the rest of my work day...

1 comment: