Thursday, October 20, 2011

Emame's Ethiopian Cuisine- SW 9th and Washington


Today, I visited the only Ethiopian cart I'm aware of - Emame's.

I was excited to see this open up, as there really aren't any Ethiopian restaurants downtown at all. (Portland does have a good number of Ethiopian restaurants, they're just outside of the downtown area)

If you've never had Ethiopian food, I highly recommend it - it's very flavorful, and served with Injera, which is a pancake-like spongy flat bread you use to pick up your food and stuff into your mouth. It can get messy, but it's very tasty.

The smells coming from this cart are amazing, and you see people slow down and take it in as they walk by.

I had the Siga Watt, which is a spicy beef stew with Berbere sauce, garlic, onions, and ginger. It's served over injera, and they roll up some more to be sure you have enough to eat the whole thing with... it's served with sauteed cabbage and a tangy cheese topping. Since it's all cooked in crock pots, they're also very quick to get you your meal, which is a nice perk. I think if you had to stand there smelling this stuff for too long without your food you'd probably go insane.

They offer Dora Watt, which is the Ethiopian 'National Dish,' spicy chicken simmered in Berbere sauce, and Miser Kay Watt, which is a lentil-based dish for the vegetarians.

Although the menu seems 'small,' the food is incredibly tasty and well worth the $6 price - the food is very filling, but I bet you'll lick your plate clean finishing it up... or is it just me who does that?

No comments:

Post a Comment