Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Swamp Shack on SW 5th and Stark - Jambalaya


The Swamp Shack has been around a while in this location, and apparently fairly successful. Today was the first time I ordered food.

The first time I tried, I stood behind a couple, thinking I was in line, for a good 10 minutes - only to find out they'd just been standing there gabbing, and weren't waiting on an order -- yet no effort had been made by the person inside to see what I wanted... so I'd had an attitude about this place and purposefully stayed away.

The reviews online for this place are almost all very good, and even comment on the cordial service. OK, so I guess I was in the wrong place at the wrong time the first time around.

One of the things I noticed was different about this cart today was the proclamation of "Portland's Best Fried Chicken" - even on the business cards.

This is going to have to wait for another day, as today, the alligator sausage and chicken
Jambalaya seemed to be calling out for me. Indeed, the service was cordial, and fast.

When I got back to my desk, the smell of this was amazing, prompting coworkers to ask what I was having, though some people didn't seem too thrilled about the alligator sausage.

It's DELICIOUS!!!
Spicy, filling, and the alligator sausage was definitely the best-prepared alligator I've ever had (Much like calamari, many places tend to cook it to an unpleasant rubbery finish - not here)

Now, I am going to have to come back to this cart and try the crawfish pies, Portland's reputed best fried chicken, and maybe even the crow I'm eating for avoiding this place for so long.
Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment