Thursday, October 6, 2011

El Cubo de Cuba


Today is "Occupy Portland" day, and I wanted to avoid any potential crowds that might be gathering and headed out shortly after 11. We'd been warned, at work, to be careful of protestors, hide our building entry badges, etc. "For our safety" - Wasn't this supposed to be a peaceful protest?

The carts were just slightly less busy than usual, and I was drawn to lively Cuban music coming from El Cubo de Cuba, located on SW 5th between Oak and Stark. They have another location on SW 10th between Washington and Alder, as well - which was their original location.... there are a few carts starting to appear with multiple locations around town.

This is the cart that turned me on to "Tostones," savory twice-fried green plantains. I was so impressed with these, I insisted we try making them at home later... leading us on a journey to figure out where in Portland to get green plantains. Seems most grocery stores only carry them occasionally. Ours were alright, but not as good as the ones served up from this cart.

The cart offers 'cubes' - boxes of your choice of marinated chicken breast or marinated shredded pork, black beans, rice, and your choice of sweet or savory plantains. I do like sweet plantains(Maduros), but now that I've had their Tostones, they're certainly the preferred style. Sweet potato fries are also an option. Sandwiches are offered, as well - though I've not tried those, as I tend to enjoy the boxes with the plantains - excellent to dip into your food with. I can never finish the whole thing.

I ordered the pork, and they served it up pretty quickly - then came back to my office and proceeded to practically inhale the Tostones, topping them with the delicious, tender, lime-tinged pork until they were all gone. I managed to get a few bites of beans and rice in before having to admit defeat.

The protesters are gathering along the waterfront, apparently they're hanging out down there for two and a half hours before intentionally taking to the streets on the way to Pioneer Courthouse Square, along the transit mall, to disrupt in order to make a statement about corporate greed and taxes... or something.

Hopefully this will bring some unexpected business to the carts that sit along that stretch.

No comments:

Post a Comment