Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Portland's own Eurotrash food cart....



Today, I strolled up to the carts on SW 9th and 10th, and wandered around both pods fully before deciding to try "Eurotrash" - Right on the corner of SW Washington and 10th Ave.

The spot, and maybe even the cart itself, were once home to "Hot Wet Beef," a cart I never stopped to try, as their business model was based on a pet peeve of mine, namely "Your sandwich should not dissolve in the au jous."

This cart's food is much different. The menu definitely stands out as unique, including "fishy fries," a serving of breaded, fried anchovies.... a prawn baguette, curried squid sandwich, and even a bacon-egg-waffle dish.

I chose the "Piri Piri Chicken" - loaded with mild horseradish coleslaw, jack cheese, and capers. It was served with a fork. I figured it was to eat the enormous amount of coleslaw on top of the sandwich, which did take me a few minutes to consume... then as I reached the more 'sandwich' portion of the dish, I realized -- this thing was not going to be consumed in typical sandwich fashion - it had to be eaten with a fork.

It was quite tasty - the coleslaw was very crunchy and fresh. The chicken and cheese melted goodness complimented the horshradish-tinged sauce from the slaw quite nicely. It was a messy dish, but I was given my fork and a set of about 5 napkins - which were necessary.

Today was what will probably be one of the last of the 'nice days' before Portland enters its fall and winter season and six months of rain, so I thought I'd stop in at the park that is to the Northeast of the cart pods, and have my meal there. (O'Bryant Square)

The park has seen a bit of an improvement due to food pod customers, but - I'd recommend sticking to the SW and SE corners in order to avoid the street cretins, who still seem to claim the NE corner of this particular park -- engaging in the standard random yelling at nobody in particular, getting into arguments, throwing things (one particular individual repeatedly came back and picked up, then threw back down, a backpack, apparently not getting the results he desired) - Either way, it would be nice if that element would disappear... everyone knows what they're up to, despite them seeming to think they're being inconspicuous grown men loitering in a park on BMX bikes and ducking behind trees in pairs for long enough to exchange some cash and tinfoil.

... but I digress, this is supposed to be a blog about food, food carts, etc.

Eurotrash was a good experience, and now that I've had some time to look over their menu more extensively, I will be interested to try some of their other offerings -- though I'm not so sure about the 'fishy fries.'

1 comment: