Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Crispy Beef Tongue with Fennel - Big Ass Sandwiches, SW 3rd and Ash


OK, I admit it. Before today, I was a Big-Ass virgin. Despite glowing reviews, television plugs and appearances, and so on -- I'd never ordered my lunch from the famous Big-Ass Sandwiches cart on SW 3rd and Ash.

I had no clear idea what I wanted for lunch today, but figured I'd head back in that direction to see if there had been any changes to the carts on this corner.

Luckily for me, today was a special day at Big-Ass sandwiches, they had a guest chef on board for the day - Kevin Sandri (of Garden State fame) - serving up his own menu of sandwiches...

Which lead me to order the irresistibly described Crispy Beef Tongue with Sauce Gribiche and Fennel & Apple slaw.

There were already a few people lined up, and it did take a few minutes to get my food, but WOW - was it worth it!

Served on a toasted Ciabatta bun, the beef tongue had a light breading and was, as advertised, quite crispy. Very rich in flavor, the sauce and the fennel and apple slaw made a perfect flavor combination. This is only the second time I've eaten beef tongue, and can now say I am definitely a fan of the stuff.

I know this isn't their normal menu, but a good impression has been made and I'll be back to try some of their regular offerings in the future. (Besides, this place is one of the most positively reviewed food carts in the world... there must be something to that)

Check out their web site for their regular menu, links, etc.

.. oh, and did I mention how awesome this sandwich is? WOW. I feel like royalty eating this.

No comments:

Post a Comment