Friday, March 16, 2012

Jerk Chicken and Pork Belly Banh Bao - BaoPDX - SW 9th and Alder



Today I rode the Max up to Pioneer Courthouse Square, then wandered over to the pods on SW 9th and 10th, as it's been a while (again) since I visited the carts here.

A new one stuck out, with a brightly colored cart and a very neat set of food photos and graphics.

BaoPDX - Serving up some interesting takes on Banh Bao, including Jerk Chicken, BBQ beef, Spam, and even a tofu version.

Since they are smaller sandwiches, the prices are set to match, $3 each, or a combo of two sandwiches, a drink, and chips for $7.50. I opted for the combo, so I could try out at least two of the varieties of sandwich.

The people in the cart were friendly and talkative, greeting people who were walking by (this trick works really well, I've noticed -- people 'on the fence' as they walk by will stop and order when greeted directly, I watched this happen three times while I was standing there)

Now, on to the food... the pillow-like buns were soft and sponge-like (in a very good way), and generously stuffed with ingredients. The jerk chicken sandwich I ordered was so good, I didn't pause once from start to finish.

The pork belly sandwich was also quite good, my only complaint would be that mine was about half fat -- considering the cut, that's to be expected here and there.

Two sandwiches and chips definitely left me full to the brim, I may skip the combo and just get two sandwiches next time. One might be enough, if you had a decent breakfast, but I'd recommend two.

I'll be back to this place, for sure -- I can't stress enough how good the buns were.

1 comment: