Thursday, December 29, 2011

Green Vietnamese cart on SW 2nd between Oak and Stark


Today, I wanted short and simple - the little green Vietnamese cart on SW 2nd between Oak and Stark was open (which is a plus, the 11-11:30 lunchtime crowd is often too early for some of the carts) - and the BBQ pork dish looked like a quick and easy way to get my lunch.

It was, indeed, quick and easy - less than a minute after stepping up to the window, I had my food in hand.

It was decent. There was enough rice for three meals. The vegetables (lettuce, cucumber, tomato) were fresh, and served on the side, as was the pork itself, next to the humongous pile of rice. It is the uncannily pink variety of BBQ pork, which was, disappointingly, not served with hot mustard.

$5. Not bad. I'm still hungry, which would probably be resolved by eating the rest of the rice, but there's nothing to mix it with but soy sauce.

This cart, which doesn't appear to have a name at the moment, has gone through many iterations. My first recollection of it was as a tamale cart, and a few different owners and cuisines have made this their home over the past few years.
They're about smack in the middle of the lot, next to the Greek cart and "Thai Tea Clean Food Good Taste," the most awkwardly named of the food carts I've encountered. No signs on this cart other than the menus on the front.

They offer Banh Mi for $3, most other meals (chicken, pork, shrimp based of various concoctions) all for $5 each.

To those who have mentioned before that all my reviews seem skewed toward praise of the carts, this is an example of a place that doesn't really stand out, but is there if you want a quick, inexpensive meal. For what it was (and I probably chose one of the least exciting dishes on the menu) - it was OK.

See, not every food cart is a mecca of culinary excellence, I've just had some pretty good luck so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment