Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Ploy Thai - SW 5th and Oak - (I'm BAAAACK!)


If anyone noticed a lack of Portland Cartivore blogs for a while - I've been away, in culinary hell.

That hell is known as Minot, North Dakota. I was sent there for a work assignment, 30 days straight of 12 hour workdays with no days off, living in various hotels, and working in a windowless warehouse type building with a metal roof.

The food choices there are mostly limited to standard Midwestern chain and fast food joints. I gained 13 pounds, as I couldn't eat very well, given my choices. (Though I could certainly fill myself up...)

With that said, I was SERIOUSLY craving Thai food getting back to work downtown, with a new found appreciation for just how awesome it is to live in this town in regards to available food choices.

The smells coming from Ploy Thai drew me in as I walked up. I'd eaten here once before, when they first opened -- but it was before I'd started this blog. Excellent opportunity to satisfy my Thai craving and get my blog going again.

Ploy Thai is authentic Thai street food, brought to you by someone who sold food in the streets of Nakhonsawan, Thailand.... and it shows. This is AWESOME. Maybe I'm a little biased because I've just spent a month away from such wonderful choices, but I stand behind my assessment.

I had the Pad Ka Pao (ground meat stir fried with chili, basil, green beans, and serrano chili) with chicken, "hot" -- and I'm dripping with sweat eating this fantastic dish (and over brown rice, something that was seemingly unheard of in North Dakota)

While I waited, they offered me a spring roll with peanut sauce, and some tea to keep me warm. Can't argue with that.

Oh, how I've missed the fine food of Portland and the carts down here.

If you like Thai food, I strongly encourage you to check out Ploy Thai. It's the real deal, and my first cart meal since returning back home.

No comments:

Post a Comment