Thursday, January 5, 2012

Angel's Cabana - SW 10th and Alder - Platanos con Carne



Today, I took a long walk to the pods on SW 9th and 10th, partially to get some exercise, and also because I've been sticking to a 2-3 block radius with my last few lunchtime adventures...

Strolling past the carts on 9th, I noticed a whole slew of new (to me) carts I'll most likely be trying and reviewing in the near future - but I kept going, just to get a good look at everything available in these two pods.

I ended up stopping at Angel's Cabana, because... well, they had plantains. El Cubo de Cuba has been closed for a few weeks for 'winter break,' and I've missed their tostones... plus, it was a good chance to check out a cart I've never tried before.

Angel's Cabana features Caribbean and Central American food of various sorts, and their "Platanos con Carne" looked delicious on the display out front.

They offer a shrimp ceviche, empanadas, several yuca-based dishes, baliadas, papusas, and more - several egg based dishes, and they're open at 8AM for those looking for a nice, hearty breakfast.

Now, on to the Platanos con Carne -- an entire plantain, halved, at the base, with black beans, ground beef, onions, celery, tomato, and 'crema' - which, to me, seemed like a great savory yogurt rather than simply cream, as the name implied.

The plantains absorbed the juices of everything above it, and though they were sweeter than I would have preferred, it worked well, and I ate every single bite with little to no hesitation.

I'm very full, very happy, and I need a nap now. I'll start that low-carb healthy eating stuff another day, I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment