Friday, January 13, 2012

Salmon Fusion on SW 3rd between Stark and Washington - Salmon Chowder Breadbowl



The sorely missed Gin Thai cart has been reopened, this time as "Salmon Fusion," - a cart specializing in bringing you salmon in many, many forms.

There have been a few 'fish and chips' carts that have come and gone over the last few years, the only one I can think of that has staying power is The Frying Scotsman - which was never solely a fish and chips cart in the first place. (also the only place I've ever had Haggis, but that's another story)

Salmon Fusion, however, brings a little more to the table than a fish and chips cart... in fact, "Fish and Chips" isn't an option here.

Everything in their menu is salmon based, but there's a bit of variety.

For instance - Salmon chowder, salmon tacos, salmon pot pie, smoked salmon sliders, salmon pita wrap, bagels with salmon and cream cheese, salads (with salmon)... you get the point.

I didn't notice until I looked at the menu AFTER leaving, that they have two dessert offerings that... I guess I'll have to try at some point... though hesitantly -- "Peppermint dark chocolate salmon," and "Peppermint white chocolate salmon" - $4.
I'm really not sure how to interpret that, but I am certainly curious. An opportunity for another visit, perhaps.

The owner has worked deep sea fishing in Alaska, and catches and smokes the salmon himself. He was giving out samples of the chowder to passersby, and had quite a line of interested patrons.

Now, I'm a sucker for soup in breadbowls. I've always loved that method of soup delivery, so the chowder was my pick for my first Salmon Fusion meal. It was served, as advertised, in a breadbowl (Alessio Baking provides the baked goods) - along with Hawaiian coleslaw, saffron rice, and a wedge of dried pineapple with some cayenne pepper coating it.

The chowder was delicious, filling, and disappeared way too fast - and there was plenty of it. I needed to save room for the slaw and some rice. The slaw was a little on the sweet side (That must be Hawaiian style, I suppose) - and I ate all of that, as well. Now, left in my takeout container, is about half a breadbowl, cleaned of any trace of chowder, and most of the rice - but I simply cannot eat any more - this was A LOT of food.

$7.50 - not too shabby, especially considering you could probably feed two people with this meal.

"Welcome to the neighborhood." - Another cart I'm sure to return to.

No comments:

Post a Comment