Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Pork Leg Stew from SomTum Gai Yang - SW Stark between 2nd and 3rd


SumTum Gai Yang is the name of the signature dish served by this cart (a papaya salad with chicken or pork), and this particular location is is their 2nd (they have another cart at the pods between 9th & 10th on Alder)

Although it is their namesake, this is not what I ordered today.

Khao Kha Moo, a dish I've never seen or heard of before -- sounded really good. Pork leg stew over sticky rice.

It smelled absolutely fantastic, and I couldn't wait to give it a try. The pork was tender and juicy, and practically fell apart when touched with a fork. It had a light sweetness to it, perhaps cinnamon or a similar spice. The meal was served with pickled mustard greens and half a boiled egg, and some chili oil. I can't emphasize enough how tender and tasty this pork is - you can tell it was cooked slow and low with lots of care.

This is another one of the 'not typical' Thai food carts - I had incorrectly assumed it was 'just another Thai cart,' as there are many, and many almost exactly alike, in every cart pod in town.

Reasonable prices, not-so-average choices, good stuff.

I am getting full and a quarter of my meal still remains... yet I don't know that I'd want to let this delicious pork go to waste... so I may just stuff myself and deal with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment