Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Hungary Stew with Nutty Rice - Vegan and Gluten-Free cart on SW 2nd and Stark



Yesterday while I was out scouting out lunch, I had obtained my food and was walking past one of the stranger looking carts around, located at the corner of SW 2nd and Stark - (Formerly The Spudlocker, Joclyn's Ciao Chow, and Healthy Corner) - there had been a yellow wooden heart that appeared on the sides of the cart in recent weeks...
and ... on this occasion, a friendly young lady with bright blue eyes and some taster cups.

I tried their Winter Spice Curry sample, as it was clear I already had a meal in my hands... and, let me tell you - this was a fine soup, indeed. I promised I would come back to the cart on a day I hadn't already obtained my lunch.

Today was the day. This cart offers only vegan and gluten-free soups and sides, and coconut milk to drink. $8 for the meals, $2 for the coconut milk.

I ordered the Hungary Stew with Nutty Rice as the side.

Lentils, carrots, onions, red peppers, ginger, and a generous helping of spices that give it a nice kick. Very tasty... and filling.

So far, their offerings are Winter Spice Curry, Bourbon Jambalaya, and Hungary Stew, with sides of rice or quinoa and coco-kale-something or other.

Another fine option to vegans in the land of food carts, regardless of my inability to quite recall the options for sides.

There was no catchy title listed anywhere on the cart, so I'm not sure if they have a name or if it's just 'vegan and gluten free' like at the top of the menu.
Maybe I should be more talkative next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment