Friday, January 6, 2012

Wayang House - SW 9th and Alder - Nasi Campur



Today, another brisk walk up to the cart pods on SW 9th - more exercise, and some carts that are new to me.
Wayang House caught my attention - partially because I'm not too familiar with Indonesian food, and, well, the girl at the window was very pretty and was smiling at me.

The menu was short, 5 items. Nasi Campur, Nasic Uduk, Kari Ayam, Gado Gado, and one that I can't recall now, but was tofu based, and featured pineapple, if I recall correctly. [Blogger FAIL, yes, I know.]

Often, such adventures lead to education, as I tend to look up some of the dishes I'm not familiar with on the 'net to make sure I'm describing them properly.

I had the Nasi Campur, which literally translates to "mixed rice" - but as a dish is served, typically, with meat over rice, vegetables, eggs, and shrimp chips. I'm guessing the crunchy pita-shaped thing was, indeed, a 'shrimp chip' - and was very tasty. This presentation is served with a boiled egg, though in my brief research, fried eggs are common, as well. Allow me to go on about the shrimp chip - this would be a dangerous snack food to have around in large quantities. Light and crisp and addictive.

The meat was spicy, it had quite a kick to it. Spicier than the Siga Watt I get from the nearby Ethiopian cart. The seasonings were delicious and unlike anything else I've ever tasted... this is good stuff!

Dishes are mostly $6, mine was $7, and appears to be the 'deluxe' item. It certainly tastes that way to me.

Check this place out. I have a feeling every one of their menu items is fantastic. I'd imagine if you like Thai food and want to change things up a bit, this would be a great alternative cuisine.

1 comment:

  1. I love Indonesian food!! Nice review of Wayang; the one dish that's left out is bakmi Medan, by the way :)

    ReplyDelete